Legal Aspects of Nursing Practice – PM Session
Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 1:00pm-4:15pm
Newberry County Memorial Hospital, 2669 Kinard St., Newberry, SC 29108
Barbara Chesley, RN, MS, JD
TARGET AUDIENCE: Nurses
LEARNING OUTCOME: This program will provide an overview of the legal aspects of nursing and how to apply them into their practice.
At the completion of the program the learner will be able to:
- Discuss tort law and malpractice causes of action.
- Identify the legal concept of nursing standard of care and how this is introduced in a malpractice case.
- Discuss legal issues related to policies, procedures and guidelines in relation to nursing standards of care.
- Identify “high risk” areas of nursing liability and methods to minimize legal risk.
- Discuss the legal implications and pitfalls of nursing documentation.
- Discuss miscellaneous legal questions related to nursing practice.
AHEC: This program is approved for 0.3 CEU’s (3.0 clock hours) of continuing education by Mid-Carolina AHEC, Inc. and meets the SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
NURSING: Mid-Carolina AHEC, Inc. is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the South Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction, by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This program, approval #1811-032-PR-013 is approved for 3.0 hours.
Participants must attend 90% of the program in order to receive a certificate of attendance. No partial credit will be given.
REGISTRATION FEE: $60.00
Fee waived for Hospital Consortium member when registered through Staff Development Director.
You may register online using PayPal at www.midcarolinaahec.org or make check payable to:
Mid-Carolina AHEC, Inc.
PO Box 2049
Lancaster, SC 29721
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 24, 2019 or until classroom capacity is reached.
REGISTRATION/CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Registrations are accepted until class is filled. Registration assures placement, materials and notification if class is canceled. Registration is not complete until money is received along with the registration form. Written cancellation received two (2) weeks prior to the program date will result in a 50% refund. Cancellations received later than two weeks prior to the program, or failure to attend the program, are not refundable.