The Sexual Assault Victim and Evidence Collection for the Emergency Room Nurse
Monday, March 11, 2019 – 9:00am-12:15pm
Newberry County Memorial Hospital, 2669 Kinard Street, Newberry, SC - 803.276.7570
Kelli Clune, MSN, RNP-C, CEN, SANE-A, SANE-P
TARGET AUDIENCE: Emergency Department Nurses
LEARNING OUTCOME: Medical providers and nurses receive minimal formal education in the collection of evidence in sexual assault cases and the recognition of other forms of interpersonal violence. This lack of knowledge can lead to signs of abuse going unrecognized, loss or destruction of evidence and/or further unintended trauma by systemic procedures. This program will cover the following learning objectives:
- Describe the components of the forensic exam.
- Discuss the components of obtaining a health history.
- Identify the essential components of a psychological assessment.
- Identify the essential components of a physical assessment.
- Demonstrate the steps of evidence collection.
- Discuss the importance of documentation.
- Discuss the dynamics of sexual assault.
- Describe psychological reactions to sexual assault.
- Recognize reasons for non-reporting of sexual assault/domestic violence.
- Discuss ethics in working with sexual assault cases.
- Discuss nursing management of the sexual assault patient.
NURSING: Mid-Carolina AHEC, Inc. is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the South Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction, by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This program, approval #1811-032PR-009, is approved for 3.0 hours.
AHEC: This program is approved for 0.3 CEU’s (3.0 clock hours) of continuing education by Mid-Carolina AHEC, Inc. and meets the SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Participants must attend 90% of the program in order to receive a certificate of attendance. No partial credit will be given.
REGISTRATION FEE: $60.00
Fee waived for Hospital Consortium member when registered through Staff Development Director.
You may register online using PayPal at www.midcarolinaahec.org or make check payable to:
Mid-Carolina AHEC, Inc.
P.O. Box 2049
Lancaster, SC 29721
Phone: 803-286-4121-Fax: 803-286-4165
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: March 4, 2019 or until classroom capacity is reached.
INSTRUCTOR: Kelli Clune, MSN, RNP-C, CEN, SANE-A, SANE-P
Registrations are accepted until class is filled. Registration assures placement, materials and notification if class is canceled. Registration is not complete until money is received along with the registration form. Written cancellation received two (2) weeks prior to the program date will result in a 50% refund. Cancellations received later than two weeks prior to the program, or failure to attend the program, are not refundable. Your responsibility is to notify staff development if you cannot attend. Substitutions are permitted.