The written exam (Part 1) will be completed online and the check off (Part 2) will be scheduled through the AHEC office. The online portion cost is $25.00. Part 1 of the BLS course is offered through the American Heart Association. After Part 1 is activated, it will expire after 12 months. Part 1 is a self-paced course; you can enter and exit a course as often as necessary. If you are not active in the course for 30 minutes, your user session will time out. When this happens, you will see a message that your session expires. Simply log-in again and return to the course. You will see all of your completed exercises have been saved. After completing the written exam, please contact Julie Ghent by email or phone at 803-286-4121 to set up an appointment for the hands on check off. The cost of the check off is $20.00. Cash or money order will be accepted for payment.
Directions for accessing the online BLS course
- Visit www.onlineAHA.org. Register or log-in if you have an existing account.
- Once logged in, select “Course Catalog” under BLS - Basic Life Support, “BLS for Healthcare Providers Online Part 1,” select purchase.
- Enter credit/debit card information.
- Your purchased course will appear in “My Courses,” under “Active Courses.” You are now ready to begin BLS for Healthcare Providers Online Part 1.
- When finished, print statement of completion with certificate number. Bring this certificate to the check off portion of the course.
You must complete your skills session within 60 days of completing Part 1 online. Only after completion of Parts 1 and 2 will you be awarded a BLS card. Please note that you can access this course from any computer that has internet access by going to www.onlineAHA.org.